Whether as the result of genetics, pregnancy, aging, or weight change, women may develop sagging in the labia: the skin around their vaginal opening. Labiaplasty is a common surgical procedure that reduces this skin and creates a more compact and youthful appearance.
Dr. Brady is an expert in labiaplasty and the only cosmetic gynecology specialist in Dallas. A certified fellow of the American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, she has performed the procedure for thousands of women who wanted greater comfort and more confidence in their appearance.
A Single Surgery to Help Women Look and Feel Their Best
Many patients choose to have labiaplasty for aesthetic reasons. They aren’t happy with the way their loose labial skin looks, and they feel less confident in their appearance and in intimate situations. Labiaplasty offers a firmer, younger appearance.
Alternatively, about half of the patients who come to Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas for labiaplasty decide to have the procedure to resolve their discomfort. As examples:
- They may experience irritation or uncomfortable bulging when wearing certain clothes, like a thong or yoga pants.
- They might not be able to enjoy their favorite activities, like horseback riding or spin.
- Sagging labial skin may interfere with intercourse or personal hygiene. Patients may have to move this tissue out of the way during sex or adjust this skin when placing a tampon.
Surgery revises the sagging labial skin in a way that resolves irritation, frees patients to wear and do what they want, and increases the pleasure of intimacy.
Exploring Options with Labiaplasty
Each patient will begin with an initial consultation at Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas. During this visit, Dr. Brady will take the time to get to know her and to learn about her goals.
Dr. Brady will also perform a physical examination, during which patients can show her their specific areas of concern. Labiaplasty can address the inner (minora) labial lips, the outer (majora) labial lips, or both. Because our practice has extensive experience in labiaplasty procedures, patients also have the opportunity to look through a variety of before and after photos to get a sense of the results they can expect.
Labiaplasty of the Minora
Labiaplasty of the Majora
Dr. Brady emphasizes education as part of patient care. Some of the details she tends to discuss with patients follow:
- In addition to creating a firmer appearance, Dr. Brady can perform the labiaplasty in a way that gives the labia a pinker pigmentation, which we tend to associate with youthfulness.
- Excess skin often affects the area around the clitoris. To make the labia match aesthetically with this area, labiaplasty usually includes reductions of the clitoral hood, either by removing skin at the side (hood reduction) or by lifting the hood (clitoropexy).
- Labiaplasty does not affect a woman’s ability to deliver vaginally in the future. The surgery also does not affect the g-spot, and Dr. Brady does not operate on the clitoris or its nerves directly, so there is no risk of diminishing sexual sensation.
During a patient’s consultation, recovery, restrictions, and pricing will be discussed in detail. Dr. Brady will also take the time to answer any questions a patient may have so each patient can confidently make a fully informed decision involving her individualized treatment plan.
Comparing Labiaplasty to Non-Surgical Solutions
Because Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas specializes in sexual health and cosmetic gynecology, we offer expertise in a variety of procedures and can recommend an approach matched to each woman’s needs. Dr. Brady spends significant time in consultation with patients discussing treatment options and setting expectations for the degree of improvement they can expect.
As an alternative to labiaplasty surgery, Dr. Brady also provides patients with ThermiVa® treatments. Good candidates for this approach are patients who:
- Want to tighten the labia majora. ThermiVa is not usually an optimal treatment for the labia minora.
- Have mild to moderate sagging skin.
- Will be happy with a limited degree of tightening.
Patients who have more severely sagging skin should consider labiaplasty instead of ThermiVa. Also, Dr. Brady may recommend labiaplasty for Dallas patients who want a significantly flatter, firmer result for either aesthetic or comfort reasons.
What to Expect with Labiaplasty
Once a patient decides they’re ready for labiaplasty, we will have them come in for a pre-operative appointment and provide them with prescriptions and resources to make their recovery more comfortable. For patients from outside of Dallas, Women’s Wellness Institute can schedule appointments in a way that decreases the amount of travel.
Procedures will take place in an accredited outpatient surgical center. Most patients will have labiaplasty under general anesthesia, though Dr. Brady can also perform the surgery with IV sedation and local anesthetic. The specific techniques that she will use will depend in part on whether the surgery focuses on the labia majora, the labia minora, or both.
Dr. Brady uses an Ellman® scalpel for labiaplasty procedures to give patients a more aesthetically appealing outcome and faster recovery. This device applies radiofrequency energy, revising the sagging skin while preventing damage to surrounding tissue. She will close the site with dissolvable stitches that should go away within 4-6 weeks.
Recovery After Labiaplasty
Following surgery, patients will have a short rest at the outpatient center before getting a ride home with a friend or family member. Dr. Brady will provide them with her mobile phone number so that she will always be available to answer their questions.
The morning after labiaplasty, we will ask patients to come in for an examination to make sure they are healing well and to begin a regimen of antibiotics. Overall, most women take 2-3 days off work and their normal routine, and then they follow the guidelines below:
- Treat the surgical site with ice packs for the first three days: 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- Use a stool softener to prevent constipation.
- Don’t exercise for at least two weeks and then only with medical approval.
- Wear loose clothing, avoid using tampons, and do not participate in oral sex, anal sex, or intercourse.
- Do not soak in water including bubble baths and hot tubs.
Most of our Dallas patients describe the pain related to recovery as manageable and many manage post-operative pain merely with over-the-counter medications. As the nerves heal and the stitches dissolve, patients may feel itching, which they can treat with BENADRYL® as well as with the lidocaine ointment our practice provides. These symptoms usually subside after 7-10 days.
Patients will have mostly healed six weeks after labiaplasty, though it will take 4-6 months to see the final results of surgery. Around this time, we invite patients back to Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas to make sure that they are completely happy with the improvement they’ve enjoyed from their procedure.
Pricing and Financial Options for Labiaplasty
Like with any surgical or non-surgical procedure, the cost for labiaplasty varies from patient to patient. Usually fees range from $3,000 to $8,500 which includes the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia fee, facility fee, all pre and post-operative appointments, and blood work. A quote based on your specific medical history, physical exam and desired goals will be provided at the end of your initial consultation.
Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas strongly believes that women should not be limited by their resources and financial circumstances, therefore we do provide various financing options all of which will also be discussed during your consultation.
Genetics, aging and weight changes can prevent women from looking the way they want, taking part in the activities they love, and enjoying intimacy to the fullest. To learn more about labiaplasty, contact Women’s Wellness Institute of Dallas online or by phone at (214) 442-0055.